Are you a storyteller living in the Northern Territory? Or a storyteller with a legacy connection to the Territory?
Borderlands is open for submissions for its first print issue, to be published in May 2020.
Thanks to support from the Regional Arts Fund and Creative Partnerships Australia through their MATCHLab program, all selected contributors will be paid for their work. For prose pieces we pay $0.71 per word, and for poetry $300 per poem.
What are we looking for?
Borderlands acknowledges that not all storytelling traditions are written traditions, and therefore we are seeking creative texts, visual and photographic submissions from Northern Territory writers and storytellers (and those with a legacy connection to the Northern Territory), including:
- Short stories
- Book reviews/Arts criticism (including art, literary and performing arts)
- Multilingual writing
Maximum 3,500 words for text submissions and up to 7 images for photographic submissions. A maximum of three poems per submission. It is the responsibility of the writer to secure relevant permissions from the original authors for translation submissions.
We define ‘Northern Territory writers and storytellers and those with a legacy connection to the Northern Territory’ as:
- Current Northern Territory residents
- Former Northern Territory residents who lived in the Territory for a minimum of two years
- Anyone with strong familial or cultural connections to the Northern Territory
- Activists critically engaged with issues concerning the Northern Territory
To submit, email email@example.com with ‘Borderlands submission’ in the subject line and include:
- Your name, contact details (including address), and a 50-word bio
- Whether or not you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- A short statement outlining your connection to the Northern Territory if you are not a current NT resident
You may submit more than one piece, but please send through each individual in a separate email.
For text submissions:
- Your submission attached as a Word document, Times New Roman 12pt, minimum 1.5 spacing
For visual submissions:
- Your submission attached as a file OR if the file is too large, as a direct link where we can access your submission
All submissions must be previously unpublished and not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
Submissions EXTENDED to Sunday, 16 February 2020, 11:59pm.