2023 Special Online Edition ‘The Voice to Parliament’
Call For Submissions
Northern Territory literary journal Borderlands is calling for submissions for a special themed online edition on ‘The Voice to Parliament’.
We are seeking submissions from storytellers living in the Northern Territory, and First Nations storytellers nationwide to contribute to this special issue.
Submissions for this edition open on Wednesday, 26st July, 2023 and close on Sunday, 3rd September 11:59pm.
What are we looking for?
We are seeking submissions on the theme of the upcoming Voice to Parliament Referendum.
Borderlands acknowledges that not all storytelling traditions are written traditions, and therefore we are seeking creative texts, photographic, visual art, audio and video submissions from Northern Territory writers and storytellers (and those with a legacy connection to the Northern Territory), and First Nations storytellers nationwide including:
- Essays (2500 words max.)
- Memoir (2500 words max.)
- Short stories (2500 words max.)
- Poetry (3 poems max. per submission)
- Visual art
- Audio/video storytelling (10 minutes max.)
- Photographic essays (10 images max.)
It is the responsibility of the writer to secure relevant permissions from the original authors for translation submissions.
We define ‘Northern Territory writers and storytellers and those with a legacy connection to the Northern Territory’ as:
- Current Northern Territory residents
- Former Northern Territory residents who lived in the Territory for a minimum of two years
- Anyone with strong familial or cultural connections to the Northern Territory
- Activists critically engaged with issues concerning the Northern Territory
Selected submissions will be paid at Australian Society of Author (ASA) rates:
- $0.96 per word for text submission
- $130 per poem
- Up to $750 for audio/video, visual art and photographic essays
Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘The Voice [submission category]’ and include the following:
- Contact details (phone, email address and postal address)
- 50-word bio
- A short statement (100 words max.) outlining your connection to the Northern Territory if you are not a current NT
resident or First Nations storyteller
For text submissions:
- Your submission attached as a Word document (.doc or docx.), Times New Roman 12pt, minimum 1.5 spacing
For audio/video/ visual art/ photographic submissions:
- Your submission attached as a file OR if the file is too large, as a direct link where we can access your submission
All submissions must be previously unpublished and not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
Submissions close on Sunday, 3rd September 11:59pm